Friday, May 21, 2010

All in a Day's Work

When I got to school this morning, the teacher (Sister Vika) greeted me by saying that she had to leave me with the class. A girl had gotten an eraser (they call them "rubbers" here) stuck in her ear, so Sister Vika was taking her to the hospital. So, I was the sole authority figure in the classroom for the morning. The kids were so loud. They were taking a test, but wouldn't shut up for more than a minute. They don't stay quiet for Sister Vika either, but she readily smacks them (hard!) when they do something wrong, so they're a tiny bit better for her.

This is a private Catholic school, but it's still not very good. There's a pretty big range of ability among the students, so I think that makes it hard. A few kids in the class speak and read English really well (if their parents have taught them at home), but some can't speak or read more than a few words. Same goes for spelling/writing, math, etc. Also, there's usually at least one kid who doesn't have any food or money for lunch. The kids who do have plenty of food are very good about sharing with the others though.

I'm still having tons of fun. I really really love it here. I'm hoping to post pictures sometime next week! I'm going on a 2-day trip to Octopus Resort on Waya Island this weekend, and it's supposed to be gorgeous. The smaller islands (like Waya) are what make Fiji a famous tourist destination. Nadi, the town on the main island that I'm staying in, is great and very pretty, but it doesn't have any of the fancy resorts that people vacation at. So I should get to see a very different side of Fiji this weekend!

4 comments:

  1. Have fun this weekend! You deserve a relaxing break after being in charge of that many kids for the morning. I am sure the resort will be beautiful as well. I cannot wait to see pictures when you get back.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You will have to get Shelly to share her secret for "mob control". I was impressed when she got her first teaching assignment at Big Sandy and was given bus duty. I half expected to see her come home in tears; instead she soon had them lining up like little ladies and gentlemen and enjoying the experience. Love, Gpa.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! Differentiated instruction in a language you don't even know. The calculus on that is something else! You did well to stay there and help them manage even if it was loud! Keep smiling!

    ReplyDelete
  4. An eraser stuck in her ear...that is learning a very important lesson the hard way :)

    ReplyDelete